Our present world has a fast growing cliche of the definition of love. Have you ever thought about what God really says about love? Or try to find out what does the bible say about love? However, to some, love is basically an expression of emotions which could be toxic or negative.
What what does the bible say about love? Should we base our understanding of what love is on the world’s definition? Hell no!
What exactly is the bible saying about Love?
The bible says distinctive things about love that helps us as understand how we can love ourselves better. So, is love just the feeling of great friendliness, or a feeling of having someone close? Well, you are about find out!
Biblical Definition of Love
1Corinthians 13:4— Here the Bible talks about love. Explaining it’s attributes to help us understand attributes of love and how we can really define love. As well as express it in our relationships and everyday life.
So, the scriptures says; Love is very patient and kind. Love is never jealous or envious, never boastful or proud. However, It never hurts neither is it selfish or rude. Biblical explanation of love shows that love does not demand its own way. It is not irritable or touchy.
More biblical attributes of Love
Love does not hold grudges and will hardly even notice when others do it wrong. It is never glad about injustice but rejoices whenever truth wins. If you love someone you will be loyal to that person no matter what the cost is.
More importantly, love will always believe in the loved, always expect the best from the loved and always stay faithful in relationship with the loved.
God’s Expression of Love to Mankind
That’s why 1Corinthians 8 vs 13 says; All the gifts and powers from God will someday come to an end. However, love goes on forever. Which makes love the most powerful force ever.
Come to think of it, God, who is love was the first to show love. He did this by creating us in his own image Genesis 1 vs 27. He didn’t just create us in his image and likeness, he also gave us a place to stay. The best part is, when we turned our backs on him and disobeyed him, he still came down to the earth to save us from ourselves. Now, that’s love!
What’s the Bible Actually Saying About Love?
What does the bible actually say about Love to us now? The bible explains that if you really want to know what the bible says about love, you should look at the person who is the express image of love himself. That person is no other person than our creator. [God, Spirit, Jesus]
What are the Attributes of Love According to the Bible?
- Love is patient
- It is not envious
- Not boastful
- Never proud
- Can’t be easily angered
- Keeps no record of wrongs
- God himself is Love
- Love is obedient
- Covenant keeping
- Does not delight in evil
- Always protects
- Brings hope and joy
- True love always perseveres
- Charity/ Love never fails
- Love is charity
- Where there is love, there is understanding.
What Does the Bible Say About the Attributes of a Loving Relationship?
Take a moment to think about this— What could you possibly say are the attributes of a loving relationship according to biblical standards? Is it the flowers or chocolates, the dinner night or the fancy clothes? Right now, It’s time to get your understanding far beyond what social media, soap opera, and other media has in time painted love to be.
Well, we can’t necessarily say that love isn’t associated with these amazing treats. Therefore, they do have an idea of what love is. But, the risk is taking their ideas of love to be your basic and foundational knowledge of love in your relationship.
Being in a loving relationship is not always the happy-go-lucky-flow experience. In other words, there are situations that may arise in a relationships. These situations can create a bond, or destroy the relationship depending on your previous foundational knowledge of what a loving relationship is.
List of Attributes That Defines a Loving Relationship According to the Bible
- Love— Definitely for a loving relationship, there has to be the presence of love.
- God— When god is the center of your relationship, every other attribute is in order.
- Joy— This is the fruit of the spirit, so when you understand the gospel, and have a consciousness of the Spirit of God. Then, you naturally produce this fruit.
- Peace— An important attributes of any relationship even business relationships is having peace.
- Kindness— One major proof of love is the ability to show a little kindness.
- Sacrifice— Human beings are naturally selfish, it takes the force of love to make someone do something for someone else in a sacrificial manner.
- Covenant keeping— It takes a lot of commitment to be in a relationship and remain faithful to your spouse in all things.
- Generous— Love prompts you to give not just giving but giving cheerfully.
- Perseverance— This is the ability to stay at a course even when it hurts like hell.
- Goodness— When you involuntarily do something good for your partner.
- Faithfulness— This is the ability for you and your partner to love and trust each other regardless of the situation at hand.
- Humility— An attribute of a perfect and loving relationship that is in line with what the bible says is remaining humble among each other regardless of social class or level of education.
- Self control— The ability to have control of the flesh.
- Understanding— The absence of misunderstandings.
- Obedience— Having the ability to adhere to each other’s decisions.
- Charity— In most cases has been said to be similar to love.
More on the List of Attributes That Defines a Loving Relationship
- Challenging— Anybody who promises you a happy-go-lucky kind of relationship is actually not sure what he or she is saying. Relationships requires a very high demand and it’s often very challenging. Especially when you and your spouse are going through a major misunderstanding.
- Commitment— commitment keeps the relationship stronger.
- Respect— A Godly relationship that with attributes that are in line with what the bible has to say about love and relationship, is a relationship where both spouses respect each other’s goals and values consequently.
- Trust— Similar to being faithful, is trust. It involves showing your partner they’ve got somebody who has their back no matter what.
- Communication— I think this should have come out as the first attribute to a loving relationship because it is the most important part of any relationship.
- Patience— Being patient is a virtue every relationship should have.
- Forgiveness— Among all the bible has to say about love, forgiveness is one of the most important way to show love.
- Caring— The ability to show deep concern for another person.
- Hopeful— where there is love there is definitely hope.
- Acceptance— Christ showed us a mighty load of acceptance when he brought us into his family. In other words, as a proof of love, he accepted us by dying out death.
What is the Bible Not Saying About Love?
There are a lot of messages that isn’t in line with what the bible has to say about love. Therefore, in other to balance our understanding on what the bible says about love, we would really like to look into what love isn’t. Knowing that there a lot of perverted messages out there that are not in line with what the bible has to say about love.
What Does The Bible Say Love Is Not?
Love is definitely not in a feeling of infatuation. This is a feeling of being attracted to someone which surely last only for a very short period of time. Infatuation is attributed with the feeling of being:
- Without confidence
- No self control
The question of “What does the bible say about love and relationship” is a question that every christian needs to ask him or herself very well. To ensure your relationship is established on the ground of biblical standards, it’s important to know what the bible is actually saying about love and relationship.
Hope you learnt something new from this article, we’d appreciate questions, comments and suggestions.